Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Drive through manners...

or lack there of in this case...


So this one wins in terms of ultimate 'are you serious?!' moments for my week thus far! The other afternoon, my mum and I set out on one (of our many) junk food outings- to Burger King. Before hitting there however, we needed cash so we decided to go to the drive through ATM at Royal Bank right near our junk food restaurant of choice. So it's about 4 in the evening and of course at a bank, there's traffic and last minute rushing into and out to get things done. The line for the drive through ATM machine was about three car lengths long when we joined it; so we waited our turn. There's a silver Almera in front of us waiting for the car at the machine to drive off, this happens and the guy in the Almera doesn't proceed to drive forward. So there's no one at the terminal, and he is currently holding back other cars, including yours truly (and at that point- truly hungry!).
So in an attempt to get him moving, my mother pops the horn a bit-nothing. She waits about five minutes and then repeats the action-still nothing. About a few seconds after, a woman exits from the car and proceeds to go into the ATM (not the drive through machine mind you), and this silver Almera is still parked up holding the rest of us back. Now try to stay with me here; he is parked in the drive through line, keeping the rest of us back, but yet has somebody out the car using the other machine. STUPIDITY.
At this point, I'm pretty much fed up of waiting in a line that is moving nowhere. So in a hungered and irritated rage I take my purse and step out of the car to the 'walk in' machine. On the way I obviously have to pass by the stupid Almera and get a glimpse of the total fool driving (or rather not driving) it. Imagine my facial expression and over all reaction to see that this man is at a stand still, and keeping the rest of the line back because he is currently 'going down' on a box of food. So essentially this fool is eating, refusing to move and keeping me back from getting my money so that I can go get my food. NO THOUGH. As I'm walking by I let out a bad word or two and don a mean face; and head in to get money. I'm done now, and as I'm heading to my mum's car, passing the Almera guy, my face is still not pleasant and I am still muttering things under my breath.
Home boy then decides to put down his glass, and shout out to me 'why don't you haul your ......!'. The explicits I left out are painfully obvious to figure out so insert them where I didn't. Upon hearing this, and already beyond hungry and now seething mad- I stop in my tracks and spin around. I hear myself shouting as I'm taking steps back toward his stupid car 'WHAT did you just say to me?!!?', he then proceeds to repeat the phrase to me, this time louder and with more emphasis. Then I completely lose it, because not only is this man wrong, he has now totally disrespected a young lady with shouting, and repeating this obscene expression. Again I hear myself shouting toward him 'Is that how you talk to a lady?! That's the way you speak to a woman? *pause for dramatic effect* That's great 'insert word here'! Good job!' and then I walk back to my car.
Now I admit that I was wrong in saying something and sporting the 'screw pan' face at the man, and to his wrong I added another, and two of them surely didn't produce a right. But it's just a bit disturbing that a man, sorry, THAT man, sees it fit and right to speak to a lady in that utterly lewd manner. When did it become okay to talk to women, no scratch that, other people in that way? Did I not get the memo? CLEARLY I missed it. I am taking responsibility for my actions and saying that the way I acted was not the best, and I should have just ignored it. But the issue here is not the way I acted, the issue here is the total lack of drive through decorum, or common 'brought-up-cy' this man lacks. I hope that for his, he's a rare type, because if that is what men or all people are evolving into, it's a sad, disrespectful and dismal future for us all. When it's acceptable and okay that we speak to one another with such a total lack of respect and 'brought-upcy'.

Just for the record, I did eventually get to satisfy my junk food craving; and I hope whatever stupid, rude Almera guy was eating that kept me back and caused that whole incident tasted horrible! LOL. Ok, I kid, I kid.

:)

1 comments:

The Silver Feather said...

I wonder myself where respect, manners and common courtesy have gone. people don't seem to care for anything but themselves. however, this is a good blog for highlighting the issue. Good job!!!

Post a Comment